hey all,

why is it a rule that when building a logical file, the physical you are
building it over must be the first instance of that file in your library
list?

i tried this:

CRTLF FILE(MYLIB/LOGICAL) DTAMBRS((MYLIB/PHYSICAL (PHYSICAL)))

PHYSICAL exists in TOPLIB, at the top of the liblist and in MYLIB, just
below it.

the logical was created, but it didn't add the LF member due to this error:

Message ID . . . . . . :   CPF7356
Date sent  . . . . . . :   10/25/02      Time sent  . . . . . . : 08:04:40
Message . . . . :   File PHYSICAL in MYLIB on DTAMBRS not  valid.

Cause . . . . . :   File PHYSICAL in library MYLIB on the DTAMBRS parameter
is not valid. The physical files on the DTAMBRS parameter must match the
physical files on the PFILE or JFILE keywords in the DDS for the logical
file. In addition, the physical file names cannot be specified more often
on the DTAMBRS parameter than on the PFILE or JFILE keywords in the DDS for
the logical file.

Recovery  . . . :   Change the DTAMBRS parameter so the file names match
the names on the PFILE or JFILE keywords in the DDS for the logical file.
Then try the request again.

Technical description . . . . . . . . :   If a library name was not
specified for the physical files on the PFILE or JFILE keywords in the DDS
for the logical file, the library list (*LIBL) was used to find the
physical files.
The physical files specified on the DTAMBRS parameter must match the
physical files found in the library list.
-----end of error message-------

based on the Technical description, what is the point to allowing a library
name in the DTAMBRS command.  if it always uses the library list to find
the file, then the library name is useless.

If you give it a file and member name but leave the library blank, *CURLIB
is the default.  The locical is created just fine, even though neither
TOPLIB or MYLIB are my current library, so even this highly misleading.

I'm guessing this has been the case since the s/38 days, but I just don't
understand why it couldn't be 'FIXED'.   It's not like anyone would
purposely enter a different library name, knowing that it wouldn't use it.

or is it just me?

Rick