We experienced a problem today that I've not encountered before.  A job was
running and entered a LCKW state (as shown on WRKACTJOB) and stayed in that
state for a long time.  So long, in fact, that I ended up ENDJOB *IMMED and
then eventually needed to use ENDJOBABN.

What confounds me is that I was unable to determine what resource the job was
waiting on.  When I displayed job record locks, there were none.  I tried using
the WRKOBJLCK from the job's list of locks and besides being tedious, I was
still unable to identify a resource for which the job was waiting.  I also used
WRKACTJOB and scanned the job lists to see if any other jobs were in an unusual
state that might have been causing the conflict (especially the QDBSRVxx jobs)
- and found none.  Finally, I used DSPLOG to see if the system was reporting
any messages like damaged objects or such - again, nothing reported (I also
check DSPMSG QSYSOPR).  Interestingly, there were no other user-submitted
"batch" jobs running at the time - so I couldn't blame it on a query building
an index!

As soon as the job was ended, other queued jobs which ran the same programs and
accessed the same files began running and continued without incident.

Does anyone have an idea of what may have been behind this?  Is there another
command or way to see what resources a job is waiting for?
==Kevin
TEL: (614) 659-1666
FAX: (614) 659-1667