I do have one more thought.  Perhaps the Auditor person hasn't had a good
chance to see how very concerned the iSeries platform is about security.
Has he seen the password rules that you can establish?  Has he seen all of
the responses to this thread?  I ask that because you've had responses from
lots of very big shops and no one else concerns themselves at this
particular spot.  Their concerns range far beyond the original concern of
the auditor.

I am not suggesting you fight with him, but perhaps he should be shown what
the World's best business platform already offers.  Rather than fight with
him about random password generation, get his help on establishing which
password rules to use.

Incidentally, just as a "this is how I do it" story: The user types in his
own password in the physical presence of a security officer.  Passwords are
not said aloud nor written down nor reset over the phone.  Each physical
location has a person assigned as security officer for this purpose.

Booth Martin   http://www.MartinVT.com
Booth@MartinVT.com