I discovered this once only it was the username as a password. We have it
set so you have to have 32 unique passwords. Now I use the default *usrprf
for the password, and set to expired.

"With all due respect to those who have offered there suggestions on
generating passwords, I think we need to reconsider the scenario of the
original request.

The original request was that new users be given a password, that would be
changed by them to whatever they want the first time they sign in.  This is
where the real problem lies.

No matter how sophisticated or randomised the password, it will be useful
for about 30 seconds.  After that, the user will put in the wife's name or
the dog or (heaven forbid) 'password'.

So while we can come up with all sorts of wonderful formulas, if, in the
end, the user is choosing their own password, it will all be for naught."