Catherine

What a great opportunity.

First.  The best frameworks to think about are open ones. J2EE and SQL.
Regardless of the self-interested opinions,  These are the most common
standards/frameworks to build on at this time.

There has been a interface war for many years,  and guess what 3270/5250
has lost and Windows .EXE's  have lost.  The current winner, way out in
front, is the Browser.

So the iSeries is still a Great choice for App development and deployment.
It currently is the winner of many of the respected benchmarks in the
industry.  You will not go wrong or be left high and dry by this platform.

Use RPGIV (only RPGIV with Procedures, Service Programs etc)  if you like
that course.

Websphere and Websphere studio (based on Eclipse) would also be a safe way
to go.

You want to stick to COBOL for some stuff?   Fine,  iSeries will support
that too.
You wanna do C++ ?  Fine iSeries can do that.   You wanna run Linux/AIX/MVS
?  iSeries does (or will shortly) do that.   Yes, I said MVS .

In 3-4 years there will only be one hardware platform at IBM.   and It will
ALWAYS support OS/400.

(BTW,  hope you folks like a Linux terminal for your directly attached
system console.......)  Did I say that?

John Carr

------------------------------------

     Hello List,
     We have an opportunity to rewrite an entire system using whatever
platform we select.  It's currently mainframe based.  I have been asked
what
development languages and tools there are for the AS400.  We have an 820
and
use RPG and COBOL already.  What this programming group seems to be looking
for is object-oriented type stuff, though.  We're fairly new to the AS400
world.  Is there GUI-based application development for the AS400?  What
languages?  The programming staff would like to be able to develop and test
quickly, and have a full complement of programming tools to work with.  The
programmers who would be writing this system have VB and SQL server
experience.  If any of you have suggestions for us, we'd be very
appreciative.   Thanks much!

"McBride, Catherine" <CMcbride@kable.com>