It looks like IBM has quite a bit going on in OS/400 (jeez, aren't they
going to rename it?) in preparation for some major release.

I'm sure lots of people outside IBM (change management vendors, etc.) know
what's going to happen; it would be nice if the rest of us knew also.  I'm
not interested in starting down any IBM path (IFS, for example) until I know
where it's going: my task is to get to the end of the path so I can provide
value to my customers; the time I spend in transit is unproductive and/or
unbillable time.

Mark W.'s point about change management is one example of the small,
important details often left out by IBM.  I'm sure IBM doesn't know all the
answers to some of the questions they're asked, but at some point they have
to commit to a certain level of functionality (usually months ahead of the
GA release).  It would be nice if Big Blue was forthcoming earlier rather
than later; if nothing else, it would likely speed up the acceptance of new
releases and products while reducing customer confusion.

-reeve