From: Evan Harris [mailto:spanner@ihug.co.nz]
Sent: Friday, October 11, 2002 13:32
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: RE: SQL VS QUERY

Hi Matt

you wrote

<SNIP>
>         It has been posted on this list about a query eating up a system.
>True, basic users cannot kill data using QUERY/400, but there is by default
>nothing to prevent them from chewing up all the remaining resources with a
>bad selection condition set.
</SNIP>

this is one of those statements I see from time to time that I like to
challenge :)

If someone wrote a query that outputs to a file with a production file name
and replace member *yes specified they could certainly "kill" data.

Of course an adequate security scheme would prevent this but I'd hazard a
guess that this might be a vulnerability on just a few systems

regards
Evan Harris