A good place to start on performance is the Performance Management redbook:

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/pubs/pdfs/redbooks/sg244735.pdf

It's listed as V3R6/V3R7, but I've not found an updated version of this
book.

Authority Lookups are caused by private authorities to objects.  To tell if
your Authority lookups are causing problems check your performance
report(DSPPFRDTA) under the Excp Util column.  This shows you the portion of
total CPU utilization that is due to program exceptions.  If this is high
(>10%) exceptions are eating up you CPU and the Authority lookups are a
likely culprit.

I had a response time issue where I had tracked the RT degrading by a factor
of two over the course of a year.  I found 500,000 DLO's secured by both an
Authority List with all users on it and a group profile with all users in
it.  Changing to Public *ALL  (sorry John) at the document level, leaving
the group profile at the folder level and removing the Authorization list
dropped my Authority lookups by 80%, my Exception Utilization from over 40%
to about 10% and my RT went down about 20%.

Scott Ingvaldson
AS/400 System Administrator
GuideOne Insurance Group