<snip>

"Tyler, Matt" wrote:

> It's just that, in my experiences, CODE/400 has not offered anything to
> actually enhance the coding experience.  You can code off-line but you still
> have to get on-line to verify the program and get cross-reference.

<end-snip>
Hmmmmmmmmmm. Gotta disagree with you on this Matt.

What comes to mind immediately.....

- Color coding lines.
- Tab sensitive in free form.
- Full online help for RPG (don't know about help for Cobol etc.).
- Wizards for D specs and subprocedures in RPG and a couple of wizards for Java
and the ability to write any wizards I want.
- See more then 70 odd characters without damaging my eyes on a 25*132 screen.
- See more the 16/18 lines of code at a time.
- Edit more then one member without having to have a 5250 session per edit.
- Navigator to give me a chart of a program. Double click on the subroutine box
and you are positioned at the line of code in the source.
- Verify a program. Yes, you have to be on line, but only the first time you
verify. After that the verify can be from the cache on your PC - average verify
time for a 600 line program on my PC is under two seconds. I do most of my
coding off-line and I verify all the time.

A quick comparison between detecting a simple mis-spelling of a field name
using Code and SEU.

Code: Click on verify, double click on 7030 message no and you are at the
error.
SEU:  F3, 14 Enter, Get message the job ended abnormally, 2 Enter, F15, 2
Enter, Move cursor to SEU command line on bottom half of screen, B Enter, Page
Up twice, F 7030 Enter, F16, F16, move cursor to line no on top half of screen,
Type line no in error and Enter.

<snip>

> I think everyone should try CODE/400 for them selves, but I just want to warn
> others that it is not the fix for all dislikes with SEU.  Both have
> limitations that need to be resolved and we all suspect that IBM will no
> longer update SEU with new features, beyond the exit points.

<end snip>

No argument here. Code/400 is not perfect (few if any windows based products
are) but I have found it to be streaks ahead of SEU. It does take some getting
used to because old habits are hard to break - we know how to do things
instinctively in SEU but we have to think about it when we are using Code/400
ergo SEU suits me better - just have to give it a bit of time.

As for the bug discussion - "One man's bug is another man's feature"

Regards

Paul Tuohy