STRQM has much security also.  You can secure what statements a person is
allowed to run.

Benjamin Franklin

"Steve Landess" <steve_landess@hotmail.com>
Sent by: midrange-l-admin@midrange.com
10/10/2002 10:20 AM
Please respond to midrange-l

        To:     <midrange-l@midrange.com>
        cc:
        Fax to:
        Subject:        Re: SQL VS QUERY

IMO, the SQL tools are for:

1) power users (who you trust to NOT use 'DELETE * from FILEXXX')
2) IT dept. users
3) required if using embedded SQL in your programs

Query is better for ad-hoc reporting, since the user interface allows
relatively unsophisticated users the ability to quickly create and format
reports.

If I were told that I could only have 1 tool, I'd probably choose Query.

If you have AS/400 query, you can create code a SQL statement in a source
member and use CRTQMQRY to compile it, then use STRQMQRY to run it, giving
the same results as you would get using interactive SQL, without the
syntax
checker.

Also, the CRTQMQRY & STRQMQRY commands can be secured to only authorized
users, so as to prevent a novice from hosing up the system.

HTH