Jon

It's good to see someone who recognises that the US is not just a victim in
international trade.

As an Australian, it's been fascinating watching all this chest beating
about how tough the poor US has it in the 'level playing field' of trade.
Especially given the US has just pumped up Steel Tariffs (that keep out
Australian Steel), imposed quotas on Lamb (that keep out Australian Meat)
and Sugar (that keep out Australian Sugar).  That's not including the
massive subsidies that the Government pays to various industries, such as
Agriculture, that mean our products get lower prices in other parts of the
world as we try to compete agaist discounted US products.

 There are many products where access to the US market is restricted or
controlled by Tariffs and Quotas.  For example, a couple of years ago the
US banned Australia's largest car seat manufacturer from exporting to the
US after US firms complained they couldn't compete on price.

It's got to the point now that a number of Australian companies, including
our largest construction materials supplier,  are relocating their head
offices to the US so they can get around the US's restrictions.

Australia is no third world, cheap labour, slack environmental country
either.  Our rules and regulations are comparable with the US.

For years, the Australian Government has been trying to set up a free Trade
deal with the US, but successive US governments have stopped this, because
(on average), US tariffs on goods are 5 times that which Australia imposes
(20% vs 4%), and so the US will be more affected if they REALLY had to
compete on a 'level playing field'.

As to the gentleman who buys US because of his ancestor's war records,
Australia was there with you in World War 2, and Korea, and Vietnam, and
the Gulf War.  We also have troops with you in Afghanistan (as have the
British and Canadians).  A little recognition of that would be nice, you
know!

                    "Jon Paris"
                    <Jon.Paris@Partner4        To:     <midrange-l@midrange.com>
                    00.com>                    cc:
                    Sent by:                   Subject:     Jobs (or the lack
of....)
                    midrange-l-admin@mi
                    drange.com

                    09/10/02 13:05
                    Please respond to
                    midrange-l

 >> I'm all for free trade. Just make the rules equal.

You know Paul the US is a _long_ way from the virgins you would like to
paint them.  US protectionism is amongst the worst in the world.  Your
government have just done a good job of convincing you that the subsidies
you give "don't count".  Try convincing anyone in the aerospace industry
that the US allows them to play on a level playing field.  The only
companies that survive are the ones that "cheat" i.e. Airbus industries and
Embraer (sp?) the Brazilian company.  Or the thousands recently thrown out
of work in the Canadian lumber industry.

The world is changing - as has already been pointed out - all the time we
value price above all .......

Jon Paris
Partner400

Attention:

The information contained in this message and or attachments is intended only
for the
person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or
privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of,
or
taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities
other
than the intended recipient is prohibited. Opinions expressed in this email and
any
attachment are those of the sender and not necessarily the opinions of DENSO.
If you
received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material
from any system and destroy any copies.

The DENSO Australia Group of companies does not represent, warrant or guarantee
that
the integrity of this communication has been maintained nor that the
communication is
free of errors, virus or interference.