I'm sending all this because it looks like magic to me, you will have to
try it yourselves before you will believe it.

DDS for PFIL1
************ Beginning of data ***
  A          R FIL1R
  A            F1             5
  A            F2            10
  A            F3            10
*************** End of data ******

DDS for PFIL2
*********** Beginning of data ***
 A          R FIL2R
 A            F1             5
 A            F2            10
 A            F4            10
 A            F3            10
************** End of data ******

Multiformat Logical file
*********** Beginning of data ***********************
 A          R FIL1R                     PFILE(PFIL1)
 A          K F1
 A          R FIL2R                     PFILE(PFIL2)
 A          K F1
************** End of data **************************

DFU of PFIL1
 *RECNBR:        1
 F1:      FFFFF
 F2:      DDDDDDDDDD
 F3:      PETER

DFU of PFIL2
 *RECNBR:        1
 F1:      GGGGG
 F2:      FGG
 F4:      CHEN
 F3:      FFFFG

Simple program
*************** Beginning of data ***********************************
Flfil      UF   E           K DISK
C     key           klist
C                   kfld                    ffff              5
C                   move      'FFFFF'       ffff
C     key           chain     lfil
C                   move      'GGGGG'       ffff
C     key           chain     lfil
C                   move      'FFFFF'       ffff
C     key           chain     lfil
C                   update    fil2r
C                   seton                                        lr
****************** End of data **************************************

PFIL1 after program
 *RECNBR:        1
 F1:      FFFFF
 F2:      DDDDDDDDDD
 F3:      CHEN

PFIL2 after program
 *RECNBR:        1
 F1:      GGGGG
 F2:      FGG
 F4:      CHEN
 F3:      FFFFG

Note that PFIL1 is not updated by the program, but F3 on PFIL1 has been
updated with the contents of F4 on PFIL2!
F1 and F2 are unchanged.
How on earth does this happen?

We have the problem with live files where packed fields are being
overwritten with alpha data from other formats.

Anyone seen this before?

Pete

Fiserv CBS Division - Banking Technology for the Future.
This e-mail should be considered confidential between Fiserv and the
addressee organisation(s), and may be covered by legal, professional or
other privilege (or other similar rules or laws). It should not  be
circulated to any third party without the prior written consent of the
original author. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person
responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are not
authorised to and must not disclose, copy, distribute, or retain this
message or any part of it. Nor should you take any action with reference to
it. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender
immediately

Fiserv (Europe) Limited - Registered in England & Wales No. 2467435.