I would print out this manual and review the "matching" that must
occur... There is a couple of requirements that you should make
note of. The Sales manual says that 832mb is the max for a 2291.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/v5r1/ic2924/v5r1hwpdf/pdf/eng30014.pdf

http://www1.ibmlink.ibm.com/cgi-bin/master?request=salesmanual&parms=SMS&xh=%24ph*m1DUSwwmFB2USenGnN9332&xhi=usa.main%7Csalesmanual%5E&type=D&search=&title=T&product=9406-170#Header_6

The manual is clear on one thing... You can use the 256 BUT you must use
"matched pairs"....(Look at notes in the installation manual)