If you want to got to V5R1, after the software subscription thing, you
need to make sure you system meets the minimum's V5R1 needs.  This is from
the V5R1 Memo to users (
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/v5r1/ic2924/info/rzaq9.pdf )

V5R1 requirements
Successful installation of OS/400 V5R1 requires the following for each
server or logical partition:
-- A load-source disk unit of 2 gigabytes or larger must be installed.
This unit is disk unit number 1 in auxiliary storage pool (ASP) number 1.
-- A minimum memory size of 128 megabytes. Systems with less than this
minimum memory fail the install process for Licensed Internal Code.

Installations that either restore the load-source disk unit or initialize
it fail without this minimum memory size.

 Bryan Dietz
3X Corporation
614-410-9205