 >> and the ANSI definition does not require the "root" or "main" program in
the run-unit to be another COBOL program, it could be for instance an RPG
program.

I'm not trying to pick on you Lief - but I suggest you read ANSI.  During my
time with the COBOL compiler team I spent way more time than I'd like trying
to make sense of the &^$#@ thing.  I can only think that you are
mismembering or used a very odd compiler.  ANSI clearly states that the root
of the run unit is the first _COBOL_ program called.  Admittedly some
compilers provide an API (I think mainframe COBOL does) to allow a program
in another language to declare itself as the root and maybe that's what you
remember.

Where ANSI _is_ unclear is whether non-COBOL programs called from within the
run unit comprise part of the run unit or not.  i.e. do they die when the
run unit dies.  Implementation varies widely on this.  This is mostly
because they never consider that you would ever call anything written in any
other language I think.  Both S/38 and OPM AS/400 COBOL treat any program
that is called after the root COBOL program as part of the run unit.  ILE
COBOL bases the run unit on the AG, so you can avoid this if you want.  PL/I
on the 400 (which also has the run unit concept) only includes PL/I programs
as part of the run unit.

Go figure.

If you want to continue this discussion - let's do so on the COBOL list

Jon Paris
Partner400