Dennis -

The reason (IMHO) that your SAVCHGOBJ runs the same amount of time with your
large libs omitted is that you said earlier that you also save these
libraries to a SAVF and then back up the SAVF.  Since the SAVCHGOBJ uses
REFDATE(*SAVLIB) if you had just saved these libraries to a save file there
would be no changed objects in them.  If you monitor performance data you
may want to consider omitting your Performance Data Library (usually
QPFRDATA).

If you decide to use SAVACT(*SYNCLIB) you should also specify a SAVACTMSGQ.
Then you can tell when the libraries are synced and it is safe to run jobs.
Or you can monitor for the SWA message(CPI3712) and submit your job with the
CHKOBJ after it is received.  Per the help text, once the sync message is
received "The objects can be used by most applications. However, while
save-while-active processing is completing, some applications may find some
objects in use."  My 160 GB system(720) syncs its daily SAVCHGOBJ in under
10 minutes.

It is true that there is no IBM command that does a restore of changed
objects for *ALLUSR, you need to know all of the libraries on the tape that
you are restoring changes from.  There is a TAATOOL command, RSTALLCHG that
I believe will also do this.

Scott Ingvaldson
System Administrator
GuideOne Insurance Group