ALTSEQ is the way to go. It IS file-level, so it is used for all key
fields, EXCEPT for those that have the NOALTSEQ keyword on them. In the
following it says that ALTSEQ is not valid with binary, packed, and
floating point. I don't know if this invalidates for the entire composite
key, or just for individual fields.

From the DDS Reference

The ALTSEQ keyword is not valid under the following conditions:

- When you specify FILETYPE(*SRC) on the Create Physical File (CRTPF) or
Create Logical File (CRTLF) commands.

- When key fields have a data type of packed decimal, binary, or
floating-point.

- When key fields are specified with ABSVAL or SIGNED. For those fields,
NOALTSEQ (a key field-level keyword) is assumed and does not need to be
specified. You can specify NOALTSEQ for any field in a composite key that
does not require the alternative sequence.

- When you specify a value other than *SRC on the SRTSEQ parameter on the
Create Physical File (CRTPF) or Create Logical File (CRTLF) command.

The ALTSEQ keyword cannot be specified with the REFACCPTH keyword.

ALTSEQ causes zoned key fields to default to unsigned sequence. You can
override the default by specifying the SIGNED keyword for individual key
fields.