> *SPLCTL special authority will do it, but it has global implications
*splctl is like the qsecofr of spool. This will let you look/control any
spool file in the entire system, even if not authorized to the outq! I
prefer to give users a pgm run from menu that adopts authority & can only
control/reset specific printers.
I have found that by using IBM's recommended settings for remote outqs, and
getting the ptfs for lan & remote printing, our users rarely if ever have to
reset (except printing thru a windoze print server, which gets "stuck" and
re-booted more often). I have never had to bring down tcp to fix a print
problem.
The main ibm knowledge base doc for remote outq, which has internal links to
settings and ptfs
is Configuring a Remote Output Queue (RMTOUTQ)

http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/slkbase.NSF/1ac66549a21402188625680b0002037e/9f
4b1d4d23c582f1862565c2007d4471?OpenDocument&ExpandSection=4,3&Highlight=0,re
mote,outq,timers#_Section4

and the biggest resaon I've seen for losing connection is timeout values on
HP Jet Direct or HP Network printers. See
http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/slkbase.NSF/1ac66549a21402188625680b0002037e/1e
61e34f2505754f862566e20051c3de?OpenDocument&ExpandSection=2&Highlight=0,jet,
direct,timer#_Section2

hth
jim franz