Walden,

The theoretical maximum should be the speed of the HSL technology.
Which looks to be 1 gigabyte.

>From "Getting on the PCI Bus"
www.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/support/planning/
pdf/getting_on_pci_bus_oct_2001.pdf

<quote>
High Speed Link (HSL) is the second step in the evolution to iSeries
I/O. HSL is incredibly fast, provides extremely high bandwidth, and has
great functionality and reliability characteristics. All the native
iSeries I/O towers are attached via HSL cables to the iSeries CEC
(computing equipment complex). The new PCI I/O towers are ordered by
feature codes # 5074, 5079, 5075, 5078 and 0578. Physically an HSL cable
has 22 wires. It's full duplex with 11 wires talking one way and another
11 wires talking the other way and all 22 wires can be going
simultaneously for a combined maximum throughput of approximately 1
gigaBYTE per second. An HSL connection has approximately ten times the
throughput capacity as the previous SPD connection, depending on exactly
how the comparison is made.
</quote>

For a presentation by Jim Cook of IBM which shows the internal
communications speeds within the bus

http://www-3.ibm.com/services/learning/ community/as400/itso/GP022.pdf

Regards,
Andy Nolen-Parkhouse

> On Behalf Of Walden H. Leverich
> Subject: RE: Opticonnect Speed
>
> >From: Andy Nolen-Parkhouse [mailto:aparkhouse@attbi.com]
> >Are you referring to 'virtual opticonnect' (as between partitions)
> >or a physical connection between two different systems?
>
> Physical. I'm looking for theoretical numbers too, not those limited
by
> what
> a 7xx or 8xx can actually run. It's been confirmed to me (off list)
that