Rick,

Check your licensing.  If you have 'processor-based licensing' on a 170
in the P05 processor tier, you may have some difficulty.  The note below
is from IBM's client access FAQ and clearly says that once you buy into
the processor-based concept, you cannot switch to a user-based system.

http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/access/qnapack.htm

<quote>
You purchase the processor-based option for the P10 software group (in
which you pay 40 times the single-user license price). Later you upgrade
your iSeries system to the P20 software group (which is equivalent to
100 times the single-user price), you would need to pay for an
additional 60 users to get the processor-based option. You cannot switch
your processor-based option to a user-based option of 40 users. You
would need to upgrade your Client Access license to the P20
processor-based software group.
</quote>

It sounds like you may have 'processor-based licensing' for your 170 in
the P05 processor tier.  If this is true and you upgrade to a 270, you
will be in either the P10 or P20 tiers.  The pricing for the
processor-based stuff in these tiers is $11,000 (40 users) and $27,500
(100 users).

It was your comment that you have "unlimited use" that made me think
that you have the processor-based scheme.  If this is the case, you do
have unlimited use, they just base the pricing on 10 users in the P05
tier.

I'm hoping that you really have user-based licensing.  If you have
processor-based, your licensing should be set to *NOMAX users, not 10.

Regards,
Andy Nolen-Parkhouse

> On Behalf Of Rick Nardone
> Subject: CAE Licensing
>
> Working on an upgrade for our 170 to a 270.  Running v5r1 now and it
will
> be
> the same on the 270.  In pricing out the system upgrade, I was
surprised
> know that while CAE is "unlimited use"  it does have a limit of "10
> concurrent users".  We have been using this setup on the 170 with
20-22
> concurrent users(desktops, not sessions) since installation in 1999.
We
> are
> not getting any licensing errors expect for a very rare occasion with
> WinXP
> CAE desktops.  We do not get any qsysopr licensing messages.  I am
told
> that
> if license messaging or access limitations happens with the new 270,
CAE