Mike ... and also Mike :)

surely a simple RPG would also mean there would be no RRN 1 until a re-org
:) I agree if there are lots of records this could be time consuming....

An RPG pgm has attractions especially if there are logical files built over
the physical involved.

If CL is the preferred methodology and logical files are not an issue do a
RNMOBJ first, followed by a CPYF with CRTF(*YES) specified - this will save
almost half the copy time. Otherwise copy out to a new file and copy back
from record 2 (as suggested elsewhere). Make sure the copy out to the new
file also specifies to start from record 1 as this will copy sequentially
and will probably be quicker.

You may wish to consider utilising blocking factors to optimise the copy
operations if time is at a premium and you have a lot of data and simply
have to use CL.

If you have lots of data/files remember to watch your disk space as you
will roughly double the amount of storage used if you don't delete the copies.

If this is a multi-member file be aware of the 32, 768 member limit...

Sounds a bit like dealing with CSV files with header lines to me....

Regards
Evan Harris

Assuming there is a record number 1 that would work, but might take a long
time if the file had thousands of records, also the next time you ran it,
unless you had re-orged the file, there wouldn't be an RRN 1! Why not
write a simple RPG program to do it?