Jamie,

You're describing the default behavior of OS/400 work management when an
interactive job exceeds its time slice.  The time slice for the QINTER
class is 2 seconds.  When this time is exceeded, the system can move the
job into the memory pool defined in system value QTSEPOOL (timeslice-end
pool).  The default value IIRC is *base.  I'm not sure that I would
count on this to have much effect, particularly with an index-build,
which never seems to play well with others.

Regards,
Andy Nolen-Parkhouse