<snip>
  Will the following work:

1) CHGLF LVLCHK(*NO) on all logicals.
2) Change the PF source member (and LF ones if applicable).
3) CHGPF with LVLCHK(*NO) and SRCFILE/SRCMBR.
4) CRTLF from source member with LVLCHK(*NO) for all logicals.
5) Compile all programs touching the PF or any LF.
6) CHGPF LVLCHK(*YES)
7) CHGLF LVLCHK(*YES) on all logicals.
<end snip>

You pretty much have it, but with some provisos.

You can only do this sort of exercise if
- the keys haven't changed in either the PF or any attached LF's
- the data is being added to the end of the PF/LF's
- the new fields are alphabetic only
- it won't cause problems if users acess some of the recompiled programs
before everything is recompiled (for example if Pgm A puts a value into the
new field, and PGM B should do something different because of this value,
but hasn't been recompiled yet)

However, if you have changed PF through LVLCHK(*NO) before you are probably
aware of all these limitations.

The only points I'd raise in your specific steps is that I would usually do
your step 2 before step 1 (though it doesn't really matter), and step 4 is
only required for Logical Files that have changed.  If no logical files
were changed, you can skip it.

                    Jeff Crosby
                    <jlcrosby@DILGARDFO        To:     Midrange Mailing List
                    ODS.COM>                   <MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com>
                    Sent by:                   cc:
                    midrange-l-admin@mi        Subject:     CHGPF and CHGLF
                    drange.com

                    05/09/02 04:57
                    Please respond to
                    midrange-l

I have used the CHGPF command with LVLCHK(*NO) and a source member to
add fields to the end of the record format on-the-fly.  Then after
recompiling all the programs that touch the file, I change it back to
LVLCHK(*YES).  But I've never done it on a file with LFs built over it.

Now I want to do this to a PF that has logicals over it and I'm
apprehensive.  The CHGLF command does not have SRCFILE and SRCMBR parms.
  Will the following work:

1) CHGLF LVLCHK(*NO) on all logicals.
2) Change the PF source member (and LF ones if applicable).
3) CHGPF with LVLCHK(*NO) and SRCFILE/SRCMBR.
4) CRTLF from source member with LVLCHK(*NO) for all logicals.
5) Compile all programs touching the PF or any LF.
6) CHGPF LVLCHK(*YES)
7) CHGLF LVLCHK(*YES) on all logicals.

Thanks.

--
Jeff Crosby
Dilgard Frozen Foods, Inc.

The opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily
the opinion of my company.  Unless I say so.