Nathan, I have 140 operations consoles running so let me give this a shot.
First, what type of system do you have (270, 820, etc). Second, what version
of OS400 and what version of Client Access are you using on the pc . Also,
what type of pc and down load the latest service pack from IBM for the Client
Access.

I then past we have had issue like the one you are having. The first one we
ran in to is that, i think 4.5 or 5.1 of Client access it actually had a
problem with with the setup program which required you to create the
connection as a console first, then go back in a re-config it to use both
console & control panel.

The second is that if it is a newer AS400 and the control panel connects to
the "DEBUG" port on the back of  the AS400 and the LPT1 on the pc. If this is
the style you have, there is an issue and you need to change the bios on the
pc for the printer port to "EPP".

Let me know what you have and I'll try to help, unfortunately we only have
newer systems so if it is the old style I may not be a great help.

Steve Tenore