Nathan,

I don't have specifics, but I think that you may need to remove your
current configuration and then proceed with a new configuration with the
Operations Console cable connected to your comm port.  Since you have
only one serial port, then your laptop should probably not get a whiff
of the Control Panel cable.

Perhaps that's what you had attached when your first configured the
laptop?

Regards,
Andy Nolen-Parkhouse

> On Behalf Of Nathan M. Andelin
> Subject: Re: Why is my Operations Console connection failing
>
> > From: "Jim Langston"
> > When you configure the port on your PC you configure a
> > COM port for the Remote Console or the Control Panel,
> > not both.
>
> Thanks, Jim.  But what do you mean by configure a COM port?
>
> As I mentioned previously:
>
> One thing that puzzles me is the following panel in the operations
console
> setup wizard, which prompts for 3 options, but only the second one is
> enabled.  Why wouldn't the "Console Only" option be enabled, for
example?

> Select which Operations Console functions you want to use with this
AS/400
> system
>
> () Remote Control Panel and Console
> () Remote Control Panel Only
> () Console Only

> Is there some configuration setting that would enable the 'Console
Only'