> From: "Andy Nolen-Parkhouse"
> The message is referring to your 'remote control panel', not the
> 'operations console'.

Thanks for the reply, Andy.  It got me thinking about the difference between
'remote control panel' and 'operations console'.

> If you purchased the magic cable to allow you to access control
> panel functions from your PC, then you have a problem.

I bought both cables, I think.  I wrote 'Remote Control' on one, and 'Ops
Console' on the other.  Both cables have a 9 pin connector to the PC serial
port.  But the connectors are different on the AS/400 end.

> But if you are trying to access normal console functions, then the error
> message is a red herring.

That's what is bothering me.  The message seems to be leading me away from
the cause of the problem.

> Is it truly the Operations Console, or are you also trying to
> establish the remote control panel?

I can't seem to find any cabling instructions, at the moment.  But I tried
attaching the cable labeled 'Remote Control' and configuring a connection,
which eventually brought up a display that somewhat resembled the 'Function
Panel' on the front of my AS/400.  I therefore assume that the 'Remote
Control' connection works OK.

> Do you have both cables attached to your AS/400 and
> the PC?

I only have one 9 pin serial port on my laptop.  So I can't test both cables
at the same time.

> From the looks of your configuration screen, the PC is
> detecting a remote control panel cable, but not an
> operations console cable.

I wonder why?

Thanks,

Nathan M. Andelin