While attempting an Operations Console connection I get a Windows Alert
Message Box saying:

Remote control panel connection to REALDATA failed.  Do you want to try
again?

<Yes>  <No>

-------------------------

I've reviewed the archives, and the Operations Console Setup Guide
(actually, I've tried a lot of things), but a solution to this problem still
eludes me.  I can still access my AS/400 over an Ethernet connection, but
someday I'm going to need a Local Controlling System (LCS) console via
cable.

The REALDATA connection profile is stored in the Windows Registry as
follows:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE => SOFTWARE => IBM => Client Access => CurrentVersion =>
AS400 Operations Console => LCS = REALDATA

Connection Type = "async"
Console Connected = "no"
Console Port = ""
Console Port Speed = "115200"
Control Panel Port = "COM1"
CPanel Connected = "yes"
IP Address = "192.168.0.2"
Operation Mode = "attended"
PC Remote Attached = "no"

I have verified that the COM1 serial port on my PC is functional.

-------------------------

When attempting a connection, the following message SOMETIMES appears in
*MSGQ QSYSOPR:

Message ID . . . . . . :   CPI9382    Severity . . . . . . . :   20
Message type . . . . . :   Information
Date sent  . . . . . . :   09/04/02      Time sent  . . . . . . :   00:35:52

Message . . . . :   Line *N status information, line is running.
Cause . . . . . :   Additional status information was logged in the error
log.
Recovery  . . . :   You may ignore this message, because your line is
running.
  Other messages will be displayed if action is required.
Technical description . . . . . . . . :   This message will be reported,
when
  additional status information is logged by the communications controller
  program. The communication port name is CMN01.

-------------------------

WRKCFGSTS *CTL shows:

Opt  Description       Status
 __   CTL02             ACTIVE
 __     DSP01           VARY ON PENDING

-------------------------

One thing that puzzles me is the following panel in the operations console
setup wizard, which prompts for 3 options, but only the second one is
enabled.  Why wouldn't the "Console Only" option be enabled, for example?

Select which Operations Console functions you want to use with this AS/400
system

() Remote Control Panel and Console
() Remote Control Panel Only
() Console Only

Thanks,

Nathan M. Andelin
www.relational-data.com

--
[ Nathan M. Andelin.vcf of type text/x-vcard deleted ]