Depends on your point of view... OEM Drive Provider or IBM or End user

Now I have been one of all 3 at different times in some shape or fashion. Today
I'm with an IBM Business Partner, before this I was an end user and before that
I worked for a Third Party Hardware Maint. provider that maintained NON-IBM
hardware in and on IBM systems. All views and comments are my own and may or
may not reflect those of my employer.

If you are IBM, You either design and build the drive and controllers etc or
are they built to your specs. You most likely write and maintain the microcode
on the drive, controllers, system interfaces, system microcode and OS.

If you are an OEM chances are you must reverse engineer most of this process.
You may even get your hardware from IBM but I'd bet you have to at least write
your own drive code.

About the time V3 came out most of the OEMs doing disk and tape got out of the
business because of constant high R&D costs to keep everything compatible. It
was round this time I took the personal position that at least for the AS/400
that IBM is the only way to go for disk and tape. Yes, I know they aren't
perfect, but I don't remember my disk or tape stop working after a set of PTFs
or and OS upgrade ether

To finally answer your question... Yes I believe NON-IBM disks have a higher
chance having problems than IBM drives.

Kirk Goins
IBM Certified iSeries Technical Solutions Expert
IBM Certified Designing IBM e-Business Solutions
Pacific Information Systems - An IBM Premier Business Partner
503-674-2985           kirkg@pacinfosys.com