Heino,

> Why PDF with overlay View (scrren) is OK but printed looks bad?

Here is why...

Acrobat's native image mode is JPEG.

When one uses transformation to transformation to transformation
to finally obtain JPEG image, the image may loose fidelity resulting in
PDF which prints distorted or lousy image.

If you use transformation, you may not be able to control
quality of PDF electronic form.

One's goal should be to design the image using desktop industry
standard Graphics designer
package such as Microsoft PowerPoint, Adobe PhotoShop,
Adobe Illustrator, XaraX etc. save directly as JPEG file.

AS/400 specific graphics designer that costs thousands of
dollars cannot match graphical design capabilities of say
Adobe Illustrator which costs lot, lot less.

Adobe Acrobat uses JPEG images as an overlay.

One has to decide what is the primary use of PDF document:
is it for archival only than you can save graphical overlay
JPEG file at low resolution i.e. at 75/96/150 DPI.

But if you also want to print the PDF document on a laser or inkjet printer,
than JPEG image must be saved at high resolution of 300 DPI.
When 300 dpi JPEG image is used as an electronic form overlay
the visual and printed PDF out will be very good looking.

Incidently, we use native mode JPEG image as on overlay
in PDFeForm. Take a look at invoice sample on our website.
You will see what I mean.

Pradip Shah
www.b2bedocuments.com