Buck,

It's not so much of a budget as it is a time constraint - i'd like to have
this little app up and running by the end-of-week.  It crossed my mind that
i could save some time by commenting each file download with some app
specific info, rather than trying to parse the 'get' command.

I searched the archive and found many references to Scott's API - even
downloaded it and considered using it - but, no disrespect to him, I didn't
want to saddle my client with an application that relies on an unsupported
freeware sockets utility that I wouldn't be able to support once i'm gone.
for instance, if something changes in a new release of os/400, and bombs
his API, they wouldn't have a clue as to how to fix it.

I'm considering going ahead and putting the comments in the script anyway
and letting ftp error out and reply with 'command not understood' error and
be done with it.

I'll let you know if that works.

thanks again,

Rick