I'm not new to the 400, in fact, I've been working on it since IBM Rochester
hired me out of high school 11 years ago.

The main reason I bought a "home" AS/400 is to run my website
(www.distortion.us). I consider it a hobby because: it consumes huge amounts
of my time, I make no money off of it, and I never expect to make money off
of it, I just do it because I enjoy it and it gives me a chance to try out
things I don't have the opportunity to try at work (in particular, Net.Data
and SQL).

I bought the system (a 510-2143) because it was cheap ($1500 on eBay + $1000
in recent hardware upgrades to max it out), I know it inside and out, and I
believe that it is the right system for me to run a website on. What I
didn't realize is that IBM would ask me to pay huge amounts of money to
legally run this hobby system.

I'd like to pay IBM a fair amount for the software, but I cannot pay the
unreasonably huge amounts they demand regardless of how the system is being
used, or how old/slow the system is. I'd even be happy to pay for an old
release if the price was right, but IBM withdraws instead of discounting.

My girlfriend has an idea for an actual business we could run on it, and if
that ever comes to fruition, I will pay IBM for use of the software.
Meanwhile, I can live with myself, and with scratching every sixty days.