Well, I'm not likely to win an popularity contests here, but here goes
anyway:

I agree with these sentiments, but I'm choosing not to vote for another
reason -- I'm not familiar enough with all of the choices to think I have
a valid opinion. Indeed, the basic premise of the survey -- that there is
a "best" operating system -- seems flawed: "best" for what, I ask.

Personally, I love OS/400 for what I do -- solving business problems for
manufacturing and/or distribution companies. But if I were calculating the
orbits of asteroids in space, I might not like it so much; nor if I were
manipulating huge graphics files, or various other things. And while it is
getting better, it still presents challenges when used in a multi-platform
environment.

I'm not knocking OS/400 -- all I'm saying is that I think most of us would
choose it as "best" because we know it and like it and feel comfortable
with it. But that's the same reason Unix weenies will pick some flavor of
Unix (the one they're familar with) and Winbots will pick Windows, so all
the poll does IMHO is show how many people are familiar with the o/ses on
the list. "Best" will mean nothing more than "used by the greatest number
of respondents". Based on IBM's well-documented "efforts" to market
OS/400, I doubt if it has a chance of claiming the top spot.

Just my $.02. . . .

midrange-l@midrange.com writes:
>I concur and would recommend you cease and desist this... :)
>

>On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Leif Svalgaard wrote:
>
>> > I've successfully voted 5 times today
>>
>> this is not a reasonable thing to do.

Mike Naughton
Senior Programmer/Analyst