Pete,

I have 18 pmr's opened, or that have been closed within the last 28 days,
with V5R1.  If I was still running V4R5 or earlier on any of my machines I
can guarantee you that I would have pmr's on those releases in that same
status.  Would that stop you from upgrading to any of those releases?

It is great to have a machine, or an LPAR box to test new releases on.
This is our pattern:
170 first.  Dedicated to just the boss, runs Domino and some system
management.  Soon to be greenstreaked to a 270.
Development 820 next.  Used by the systems department.  Also used for
training.  Runs all of our applications in test mode, Domino, etc.
Backup 270 next.  This is our hot swap backup for Domino.  Domino has
built in clustering and you do not need a Mimix like product for Domino.
840 and web 270 last.  The 840 runs all of our applications live:  BPCS,
Software Plus, Peregrine EDI, Domino, Tivoli Storage Manager, several
Netfinity Servers, etc. The web 270 is a bumblebee dedicated to serving
www.dekko.com via Domino.

We will be putting 520 on the 840 and the last 270 on 9/20/2002.  We have
a scheduled downtime every 8 weeks and that is the next scheduled one.

While test machines are nice, having others test for you, like IBM does
with the early ship program, can be very useful.  But that is probably
your point Pete.  The questions are:
How many machines do you need others to test to give you a representative
sample?
Keeping in mind that new APARs are generated daily for existing versions
of the OS, are you going to freak if 1, 2, 3 or how many problems with
V5R2 are discovered after GA?  Or does the number not matter - you're just
saying that IBM will resolve this first flood after GA with the first or
second cume CDs?

If everyone waits until the first or second cume after GA before going to
the release, then is that theory valid anymore?  Or will it keep pushing
back until the nth cume CD?

Benjamin Franklin

Pete Massiello <pmassiello@os-solutions.com>
Sent by: midrange-l-admin@midrange.com