Hi Jeff -

>What the tech guy is telling me now is the reason it won't work is
>because our Cisco 1605 doesn't support IPSEC.  But that feature can be
>added to the router.  I asked him to have the sales guy get me a quote
>and he quoted $1200.00.  I told him I already had the router, I just
>needed this feature, $1200 is more than the router cost in the first
>place.  His response is that it is not unusual for a feature to cost
>more than the router itself.  And this $1200 doesn't include install or
>then getting the Universal Connection to "for sure" work.
>
>Am I being made a fool of?  The Cisco part number for the item quoted is
>CD16-CHL-12.1.1.  My local PC store guy can get Cisco stuff ($1020 from
>him) but he's not a Cisco expert and questioned the part.  He says that
>part refers to a 56K analog line.

IPSEC involves only software, either the Cisco people gave you the wrong
part number or they are trying to take you for a ride.

If your AS/400 is your VPN server, then you don't need IPSEC server
capability in the Cisco, just IPSEC passthrough.  Any *decent* recent
router includes IPSEC passthru as part of the base package.  If IPSEC
passthrough is all you need, it may just need to be turned on in the router
configuration.

There are other concerns with IPSEC.  Some routers won't handle IPSEC with
NAT.  E-Source should know about this.  I'd tell them to go jump in a lake
and find somebody good.

Ken
Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of
my employer or anyone in their right mind.