A little late in seeing this, but have you thought of the 7208-345 ?
60GB capacity on a single tape (150GB with 2.5:1 compression) and a data
transfer rate of 12MB/sec (30MB/sec with 2.5:1 compression).

http://www2.ibmlink.ibm.com/cgi-bin/master?xh=nSmFXf99XqoEs72USenGnN9332&request=salesmanual&parms=H%5f7208%2d345&xhi=usa%2emain%7csalesmanual%5e&xfr=N

Of course the catch is the only backward compatibility is it can read the
20GB Metal Evaporated 8mm tapes, not the 5/10GB ot 7/14GB tapes.
If you need that capability on teh new device (as opposed to keeping the
old one to read historical backups) the older 7208-342 model may be a
better choice.  20GB capacity per tape (40GB with 2:1 compression) and a
data transfer rate of 3MB/sec (6MB/sec with 2:1 compression).  Backward
compatibility allows it to read 2.3GB, 5GB & 7GB 8mm tapes.

http://www2.ibmlink.ibm.com/cgi-bin/master?xh=nSmFXf99XqoEs72USenGnN9332&request=salesmanual&parms=H%5f7208%2d342&xhi=usa%2emain%7csalesmanual%5e&xfr=N

Of course, for either you'll have to buy a new supply of tapes, so if
you're keeping the old device around to read historical backups you may as
well ditch 8mm and look at either LTO or QIC.
The 3580-H11 single tape LTO drive can hold 100GB per tape (200GB with
compression) at a data transfer rate of:
- up to 13MB/sec with a 2729 PCI IOP
- up to 17MB/sec with 6501 or 6534 (SPD) IOP's
- up to 27MB/sec with a 2749 Ultra PCI IOP
The 2729 , 6501 & 6534 are supported on a 620.
Of course, I doubt your 620-2179 can handle driving these IOP's at their
rated capacity.

For internal QIC unfortunately your 620 can't handle the 4587 with
50/100GB capacity and 5/10MB/sec data transfer rate.
The largest capacity it could hanle is the 6386 which has a 25/50GB
capacity and 2/4MB/sec data transfer rate.

Anyway, all of them beat the 7GB per single tape capacity and 500KB/sec
data transfer rate you currently have (14GB capacity and 1MB/sec with
compression) - and you only have 47GB of DASD.

...Neil

----- Forwarded by Neil Palmer/DPS on 2002/08/20 17:21 -----

"Chuck Lewis" <clewis@iquest.net>