Peter:

I have an ILE RPG module that contains procedures to CreateSTMF, OpenSTMF,
WriteSTMF and CloseSTMF (plus error extraction procedures, etc.). I bound this
with a test ILE CL module that calls the procedures in order, writing multiple
lines, using different paths in order to test the various network paths.

I created these on a V4R4 system and got them working cleanly to Win2K Server
and to V4R5 and V5R1 systems. I saved the program and restored on V5R1 and
tried again. But trouble...

When the path went from the V5R1 to Win2K Server, the initial open() API call
to create the streamfile would return a -1 for FD (file descriptor) which
should indicate an error. But when I retrieve errno and convert it to the err
string, errno is 0 (zero) and the string is "There is no error". Not very
useful, eh?

Meanwhile, the streamfile _does_ get created correctly. Unfortunately, without
a FD, I can't access it.

If my /QNTC path points to other AS/400s, it works on some but not others. If I
restore on V4R5 instead of V5R1, results are similar but failures don't happen
in exactly the same places.

Also, if I do the open() in TEXT mode, that's when it fails. It works if I
open() not setting TEXT mode. If I run the same kinds of functions in Java
using the exact same paths, it works whether it's TEXT mode or not.

Because it seems dependent on the combination of source and destination, I
never can predict which will work. IBM has my test procedures, but hasn't been
able to reproduce. (Naturally.) And because it works across every /QNTC path
when it's in Java, I'm having a hard time determining where the failure occurs
-- especially since errno is 0; I don't know how to reconcile that with FD=-1.

IBM supplied a slick procedure that prints a /QNTC trace from my sessions and
I've learned a bunch from it. Just haven't learned anything that helps.

Hmmm... One thing I haven't tried (and I'm thinking "Duh!" to myself for it.) I
haven't fully compiled and bound everything on V5R1 to see if it then works.

Anyway, that's the basics of it.

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.

Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience
the convenience of buying online with Shop@Netscape!
http://shopnow.netscape.com/

http://webmail.netscape.com/