From: Andy Nolen-Parkhouse on Tuesday, August 20, 2002 8:47 AM
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: RE: Question on Tape Drive Replacement

Chuck,

<How frugal is your company?

When I read your initial post about replacing an 8 mm device, the first
thought that came to mind was that these folks did not spend money
easily.>

That would be correct. Small company but growing and younger blood starting
to take over so that is changing - thank goodness ! :-) Not that the others
wouldn't spend money, but the sell was MUCH harder because they were
ABSOLUTELY clueless about computers. And I don't mean that in an ugly way,
it is just a fact...

<The LTO drives will give you very good performance on your saves and
will dramatically reduce your backup windows.  If you have a requirement
(backed up by funding) that you be able to restore quickly, then it
would be worth examining the Magstar line.  Considering where you are
now, the save times for either device will render you ecstatic.>

LTO being 3581 and 3590 being Magstar ?

<If frugality in endemic, then the 3581 is a logical choice (both
purchase price and ongoing maintenance).  Keep the 8 mm device for
compatibility with your existing backups.  The relative speed issues in
saves may be moot; there is a very good chance that either drive is
faster than your 620-2179.>

I would HAPPILY restore stuff from 8mm and save to LTO to get rid of this
9427... :-)

Thanks !

Chuck