John:

Checkbook business decisions are the way to go of course. But there's a minor
technical clarification.

It is not true that spam will only arrive if the list or whatever has been
mined. Spam e-mail can arrive without any list mining nor newsgroup mining nor
purchased databases of e-mail addresses. Case in point:

I had an ISP account for a year or two where I _NEVER_ used the e-mail. I had
other e-mail accounts and simply didn't need it. Eventually, I decided to put
it to use and I configured Netscape Messenger for it. Upon the very first
access, I had some 600 spam e-mails waiting for me. There had never been any
reference to that address anywhere.

After a bit of research I learned that some spam programs are available that
_generate_ various reasonable addresses to send to. If there's no reply back
from the server saying that the address is no good, then the generated address
is kept... and added to address databases for sale, etc., etc.

The point is simply that you can get spam no matter how careful you are and it
might not be anyone's fault (except the spammer). And that's where the
checkbook decisions are important.

I also recommend forwarding _ALL_ spam immediately to utc@ftc.gov just to make
sure that the federal spam database gets updated and used.

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.

Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience
the convenience of buying online with Shop@Netscape!
http://shopnow.netscape.com/

http://webmail.netscape.com/