From: Vernon Hamberg [mailto:vhamberg@attbi.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2002 1:50 AM
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: VPN/Firewall recommendations?

Just spent most of the day with the redpiece on using VPN from Win2K to a
v5r1 iSeries. There HAS to be an easier way - or is there? After all that,
something is wrong and it timed out on me.

How do I clean up everything I did, with Digital Certificate Manager, as
well as the various things in OpsNav? Like, cna you delete any certificate
stores, e.g.?

I would like some advice about VPN and/or firewall equipment/software. I've
been looking alittel at CheckPoint's stuff - combined VPN/firewall
solutions. I thought I saw some such solution at Symantec.

1. We want to be able to get connected from home or on trips, probably
using VPN.
      - Right now we use some rudimentary address forwarding on a LinkSys
cable/DSL gateway (1-WAN, 8-LAN)

2. We want to be able to present demos and pitches and, possibly, remote
support using Sametime
      - We currently use a service called WebEx (?), quite expensive. Feel
we could save money with Sametime and its app sharing, as well as
whiteboard facilities

3. We are not sure about a Linux solution, as we have limited knowledge of
that OS - I've installed Debian multiple times, but it's a risk that we'd
like to avoid for now.

4. I'd LIKE to keep all our systems inside our private network, if possible
Setup:

- Cisco 675 modem, used only for connecting to ISP,  with 255.255.255.248
mask on inside of Cicso 675 (5 usable static IP addresses - all these don't
seem very useful right now - no names attached)

- 5-port hub (switch?) for that subnet

- LinkSys gateway as firewall, static address on Wan port, 192.168.1.x on 8
LAN ports.

- 2 400s on inside, as well as various PCs, all various flavors of Windows
    - 1 400 is our development box - accessible only to employees
    - 1 400 is a test/demo box - Sametime server, Domino server (internal
mail, calendar)

Do I ask for too much?

Thanks

Vern Hamberg

Would you like to see a challenging little arithmetic puzzle
that might get you or your kids or grandkids more interested
in math? Go to <http://cgi.wff-n-proof.com/MSQ-Ind/I-1E.htm>

Sillygism--

Something is better than nothing.
Nothing is better than a ham sandwich.
Ergo
Something is better than a ham sandwich.