You can buy  the rights to use it, but in the pre V4 days you bought the
rights also, but you could not transfer those rights. Now it is uncertain
(to me and probably other AS/400 owners) what can be done with those rights
today.  But it will not be upgraded if you do not have software subscription.

I think it is easier selling it with the box. When I called the key center
and ask how to transfer software and they did not know. I asked if I bought
an AS/400 how I would prove I bought the software they said they look at
the history for the AS/400. They could not tell me what was licensed to the
AS/400. But the serial number I gave they said it was at V4R4 and read off
the standard software. And I said if I asked for the keys they would send
them to me and they said yes.

I know someone who bought an AS400 not knowing the software came with the
machine. And the software subscription was still on the machine, the key
center issued keys for the software, and when it was upgraded to V5R1 got
keys for the software. The software was OS/400, SQL, query, SEU (and that
stuff) RPG (now all the compilers with WDS). They never tried to hide that
the AS400 was bought second hand. They called to order software when they
were told it was already licensed to the AS/400. They bought hardware
maintenance. I am not sure if this is the normal process or if it just fell
through the cracks.

I talked with a BP and he also made it sound like you could transfer
software. And maybe some other BP's could comment on this.

John Ross