Dan,

The easiest solution, by what you mentioned, would be nice to have. These
following factors below prevent this situation as of the present:

1. No physical printer attached to the mainframe for use in computer lab -
students were printing piles and piles of paper

2. The distance of my location in regards to the computer lab. Currently, I am
on a nice DSL line with my own internal network setup.

3. The software currently being used to access the AS/400 is IBM's SecureWay
Host-on-Demand v4. Instructor says he will be upgrading to v6 soon.

4. No access to a network printer for student use. Please see statement 1 above.

You mentioned that if I had access to the network printer and the AS/400 were
on the same network; then setting up a remote outq and printing to it. But, if
there is "someway" in being able to print out my reports on one of more of my
local printers that would be great.

If a network printer were set up locally at my physical location with an IP
address, would that work? If so, can it be a private ip or does it have to be
public?

You said "If we can get you set up so that you can print your reports, do you
still need to view the "spaced" reports on your display?" If you all can help
me in setting up so I can print, then I wouldnt need to view the "spaced"
reports on my display.

In the near future, I am going to be taking an advanced programming class in
COBOL and RPG IV, so, that might be a good extra assignment or additional
learning experience for me. Currently, I am only in the fourth week of my
programming class, so my experience is very limited.

I just bought, waiting to be delivered, two books that will help me out:

1. Murach's Structured COBOL - for the current class that I am taking now.

2. Murach's OS/390 and Z/OS JCL - for the JCL class next quarter

3. will possibly order Murach's book for COBOL subfilles too

How would I go about in finding out if I have the option to set up a AS/400
printer client?

What information would you like to know pertaining to the software that is
possibly running on the schools AS/400 mainframe(s)? Please let me know what
you in regards to software applications, version numbers, etc. and I will do my
best to find this information out for you.

The information below is what I now so far without having to list every piece
of software on the system. Please bear in mind, I have only started with
mainframes since  the start of May of this year.

Mainframe - AS/400 V4R4
Emualation - 5250

Thanks,

Eric
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

Get 4 DVDs for $.49 cents! plus shipping & processing. Click to join.