Comments in line:

At 12:22 PM 7/31/02 -0400, you wrote:
>but a secondary DNS is not the answer either people.

I did not mean to imply that a secondary DNS servers was the answer to this
problem. But if some one is   going to run a DNS server they need to
understand them and look at secondary DNS server.

[snip]

>         So, what would I recommend and why. Build an Internal DNS server
>with the A, MX and CNAME  records in it for your internal LAN systems and
>point your users at this server for their DNS resolution.  In this Internal
>DNS configuration specify a FORWARDERS record so that things it can not
>resolve (www.midrange.com) will be forwarded to an external Public Server
>(Usually provided by your ISP).  You might need to configure this in
>resolv.conf, verses named.boot depending on the operating system and version
>of named you use.
>
>         The result is when at home www.myserver.net will resolve to the
>public address, and when on the LAN it will resolve to the private address.
>In the case of a Web server this whole issue becomes more critical because
>the DNS entry is a critical component of the URL string being parsed by your
>HTTP Server and you always want it to see http:\\www.myserver.net...
>regardless of the users IP network assignment (Public/Private)...

For no more then what domain names cost today. It would seam that
www.myserver.net for work and www.myserver.com for home would be better. At
least then I could see the difference right away, and not have to find out
www.myserver.com is dependent on where you are. The one problem with this
is, you have to make the users understand when to use which one.

John Ross