Bryan,

My own experience relates directly to coming into someone else's system
and looking at all of the netfiles.  In most cases, they had
successfully made it into the incoming queue on the system, but had not
been received by the appropriate user into a file in a library.  They
just sat there.  This is what I meant by good operational controls.
I've also seen queues which are associated with dial-up lines which are
never connected long enough to complete the transmission.  Someone sent
that file for a reason, they know what it is but the recipient never
followed through.  In a system which has SNADS active, it is important
to periodically monitor the queues so that things don't accumulate.

I would never ;-) suggest arbitrarily deleting anything.  There will be
a user associated with the transmission and it might require some
legwork to track it down.  If it's two years old and the user quit six
months ago, then it might be safe to get rid of it.  Because these
things take up space, they need to be looked at.

My point was that because SNADS can be somewhat invisible, it is
important to establish periodic examinations of the queues so that stuff
doesn't get stuck out there in limbo.  If you catch things in time,
there will be entries in the history logs to assist in determining the
appropriate disposition of the object.

Developers tend to be the worst offenders.

Regards,
Andy Nolen-Parkhouse