After you've been to COMMON once or twice then why else do you go other
than to go to '(new) seminars on the (new) features'?  Party out of town?

Or was your point that you couldn't upgrade because of the cost?  I feel
that IBM has gone to great lengths to either reduce cost, or to spread the
cost out.  Instead of paying for every upgrade then you purchase software

Did we used to get them free years ago?  Yes, I don't believe it cost
anything to go from V1 to V2.  However IBM's strategy in the past was to
obsolete the hardware and force a migration to a new platform:  S/34 to
S/36.  S/36 to As/400 or S/38 to AS/400.  Now they can:  Add features,
make the migration less painful and still make money thus remaining in
business.

While I don't believe that 5250 and DDS are the only future for the
iSeries, the rest of your argument has some merit as to where IBM spent
their development.

Benjamin Franklin

"Carel Teijgeler" <coteijgeler@chello.nl>
Sent by: midrange-l-admin@midrange.com