I want to create a command to check a job status.  The RPG program uses API's to
determine if a particular job is active, or on the job queue.  If the job is
active, this program returns *ACTIVE in the return code field (called RTNCOD).
If the target program is on a job queue,   *JOBQ is returned to the calling
program.  If the target job is not active and is not on a job queue, *INACTIVE
is returned in RTNCOD.

My command is:
CMD        PROMPT('Check Job Status Command')
PARM       KWD(JOBNAME) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(10) MIN(1) PROMPT('Job name' 1)
PARM       KWD(RTNCOD) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(10) RTNVAL(*YES) MIN(1) PROMPT('Return
code' 2)

This is OK, when I use this CL as the CPP:
START:      PGM        PARM(&JOBNAME &RTNCOD)

            DCL        VAR(&JOBNAME) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(10)
            DCL        VAR(&RTNCOD) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(10)

            /* This is the RPG program*/
            CALL       PGM(CHKJOBSTS) PARM(&JOBNAME &RTNCOD)

            IF         COND(&RTNCOD *EQ '*INACTIVE') THEN(DO)
            SNDMSG     MSG('*INACTIVE') TOUSR(PETERVI)
            ENDDO

            ELSE       CMD(DO)
            SNDMSG     MSG('*ACTIVE') TOUSR(PETERVI)
            ENDDO

END:        ENDPGM

This is not OK, when I use the RPG program directly as the CPP:
START:      PGM
            DCL        VAR(&RTNCOD) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(10)

            CHKJOBSTS  JOBNAME('DC902ML') RTNCOD(&RTNCOD)

            IF         COND(&RTNCOD *EQ '*INACTIVE') THEN(DO)
            SNDMSG     MSG('*INACTIVE') TOUSR(PETERVI)
            ENDDO

            ELSE       CMD(DO)
            SNDMSG     MSG('*ACTIVE') TOUSR(PETERVI)
            ENDDO

END:        ENDPGM

Peter Vidal
PALL Aeropower Corp.