I fully understand... If speed and simplicty is what your after (get it
working in the next hour), I would suggest scripts that,  ftp the data to
the as/400, followed by a run remote command to have cpytoimpf copy the csv
data into a physical file.  This works very well also...  But it requires a
manual step to export the data to a csv,  prior to the FTP.  (I have seen
this suggestion several time already, and it does work nicely)

With the java scenario I was trying to show a dynamic approach to the
creation of the as/400 table.

have a nice day... tim

p.s. And for what it's worth, my Java skills are pretty weak.  And I have
not written the program to do what I suggested, the need my company had was
to produce .xls files from our as/400, so my program went the other way.  My
java program would do a sql statement back to the as/400 using a JDBC call,
and then it created the columns, and then any formating (font size, column
width, rotation) and then I would start populating the data from the result
set.  And then the 400 would e-mail the .xls to the end-users.