You did not mention using the SECTOOLS (and SECBATCH) menu. If you have not
looked at it, this is a great starting point for analyzing and setting up
your security.

There's also a security advisor in OpsNav, I believe, that can set up
system values, etc., according to your needs.

Remember not to spend more on security than the resource is worth.

Re: payroll - you'll probably need some management support, so start a
consciousness-raising effort vis-a-vis security. And a security audit might
be appropriate, and would support your efforts, as well as advise you on
what to do.