Vernon, thanks for your comments
I must admit we've given up , and will send our faxes with the word "Euros"
instead of the € sign.
I've made many tests.
Wordpad will honor the euro sign in all cases.
Notepad seems not understand € in any case
WORD lets you key in €. If you save it as  ".doc" file, it will recover it as
expected next time you edit it.
But if you save if as .txt file, WORD will not be able to reload it properly
next time you edit/view/print it.
That's strange since I've checked the hex value in the saved file, and it is
still X'80', which is the same value used by Wordpad. So WORD can save it, but
will not recognize it if reloading from a *.txt file !
And our ZetaFax server seems to be acting the same way...
So, as mentioned above, we've given up.
Thanks anyway for your effort.
Regards, Antonio