The exisitng RPG code should run fairly well on the AS/400 excepting a few
horrible issues like WSU and some display files.  If thats not a
deal-breaker than another approach that I favor is to bring the data and the
applications to small local boxes, managed from Toronto.   Then with time on
your side and the conversion completed start a few little test projects
designing your new architecture and user interface.

Issues like divorcing the user interface from the actual data, creating a
middle layer that is the only method of touching the data, and defining the
casual user's needs differently than the constant user's needs can be
practiced and thought about for your own business needs.

There are so many user interface tools now, and the playing field is
shifting so fast that the user interface almost has to become a stand-alone
product now, with no direct access to data.

The uses of triggers, journalling, cascading deletes and updates, and other
newer features of the AS/400 database is another whole area for you to
explore and benefit from, too.

Fitting all these new features into an old sys/36 architecture isn't
reasonable, but the PC solutions seem to lack depth and staying power, so
the investment in your own architecture may prove to be fastest, cheapest,
and best.

Yhis opinion and $5 will get you coffee at Starbucks.

Booth Martin   http://www.MartinVT.com
Booth@MartinVT.com