Dennis,

They hid the information in the Software Installation Manual.  Info
below is from page 144 of the Software Installation Manual V5R1.

<start paste>
A week or so before you install the next release, run the QSPESTMT
program that is included in the installation estimation PTF. Do this
when your server is in a restricted state and is not busy. The estimates
are placed into the QESTIMATE spooled file. Include this time estimate
in step 4 under "Checklist for Estimating Installation Time" on page
128.

To estimate the amount of time these conversions will take, follow the
same procedure as for estimating the time for spooled-file conversions:
install Installation Estimation PTFs for V4R4M0 and V4R5M0 Software,
SK37-4105. A week or so before the installation and when the server is
in a restricted state, run the QSYESTMT program for estimating user
profiles. The estimates are placed into the QSYESTMT spooled file.
Include the estimated time for your server in step 4 under "Checklist
for Estimating Installation Time" on page 128.
<end paste>

HTH,
Andy Nolen-Parkhouse

> On Behalf Of Dennis Munro
> Subject: Release Ugrade to V5R1
>
> Coming from V4R5M0, latest cum & group ptf's installed.
>
> The Software Installation manual that came with the software has you
load
> the ptf's to upgrade to Ver.5.  The book talks about "structural
changes
> for
> future growth of object types" & then says "Then run the programs
included
> in the installation preparation PTF to estimate the amount of time
needed
> for these object conversions."
>
> What programs are they talking about?  Looking through Information
Center
> on
> the web, it shows you the steps to load the ptf's & that's all.  I
loaded
> the ptf's & no messages were displayed.
>
> Is this something I need to worry about although I would like to be
aware
> if
> the system seems to go out to never-never land, that this is how much
time
> would be involved?  Or is it located someplace else that I have not
yet
> found?
>
> I sure don't like looking at two manuals for the installation, i.e.
the